There are very few diseases which are as complex to understand, as psoriasis, the skin ailment. It is a baffling, persistent skin disorder that occurs due to skin cells that multiply up to 10 times faster than the usual rate. This means the underlying skin cells are forced to reach the skin’s surface and become dead skin. The extra volume of skin causes small red patches (plaques) of skin that are normally raised from the skin level and are covered with white, flaky, scaly dead skin.
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease. The skin patches are red and itchy and can affect small areas (localised) or spread to completely cover the body. Psoriasis usually affects knees, elbows and scalp. But the torso, palms and soles of the feet are also prone to psoriasis.
The most common form of psoriasis is the plaque psoriasis that makes up 90% of the cases. This type of psoriasis causes red patches with white scales, while the guttate psoriasis causes drop shaped lesions. The pustular psoriasis causes small noninfectious pus filled blisters and the inverse psoriasis forms red patches in the folds of the skin. When the rashes become very widespread it is developed into a type called the erythrodermic psoriasis.
Psoriasis: Myths and facts
- Psoriasis might be triggered as a response to injury, sometimes. Another major set of causes for psoriasis are environmental triggers.
- Psoriasis is not contagious but a predisposition for it is inherited in the genes.
- There is no known cure currently for this disease but it is controllable with medication.
- Psoriasis can get better and worse in very less time and can have periodic remissions. The most common types worsen during colder months.
- Psoriasis affects all ages but is commonly diagnosed in early adult years.
There are many treatment options for psoriasis in India, especially in Mumbai. Since there is no cure in the treatment of psoriasis (not only in India) there are dermatologists in Mumbai, India who offer various treatment methods. Of the leading clinics in Mumbai, India, patients could choose Dr. Rinky Kapoor, one of the leading experts in psoriasis treatment in Mumbai, India. The solutions include diagnosis and complete treatment.